V12 recently held a webinar on email marketing and how brands can optimize their email strategies. Below is a summary of the information we presented or view the full webinar at the end of this article.
The Mobile Revolution
Like almost all things, smartphones have revolutionized the way we do email.
While we know that open rates are on the rise, we are also seeing:
- A 33% reduction in click-through rates
- A staggering 75% reduction in click-to-conversion rates
- A surprising 35% reduction in email revisits
As a result, we need to change the way we view email sends today
- Not surprisingly, device usage varies by time of day
- Understanding how device migration occurs can:
- Result in a greater chance that consumers will be on a desktop computer when the email is deployed
- More importantly, increase conversion rates and email revisit – all driving email performance
Succeeding in an Increasingly Mobile World
Marketers need to develop the concept of device of receipt.
- Leverage a device-of-open pixel to track consumer interactions
- Assess device-of-open activity to a consumer
- Ultimately, build a device-of-receipt profile
Leverage the device-of-receipt profile to target consumers on the right device at the right time.
- Optimize creative
- Avoid deploying at the extreme points in the day
- Leverage the device-of-receipt profile and target consumers on the desired device
Use a concerted re-targeting program specific to mobile interactions.
Smartphones have created classes of email interactions that require a new set of marketing approaches.
How to Engage Consumers
Understanding HOW consumers engage with campaigns is as important as understanding WHEN.
It is generally accepted knowledge that:
of all consumers interactions with an email come with the first 24 hours
- But how quickly?
- And how does the initial response affect the performance of the campaign?
- After 48 hours, the email effectively becomes “dead”
- Marketers need the ability to target consumers more personally
Given the above, clients approach email with some very specific questions:
- What is the ideal time to deploy campaigns?
- What are the typical open patterns of consumers?
- How can we get a better perspective on our consumer data?
The Importance of First Impressions
The Cost of Traditional Thinking
Maximizing Engagement is Not Just About Good Content
Leveraging consumer-provided information to formulate ideal deployment times can revolutionize deployment.
- Ideal deployment times are easily formulated
- Leverage consumers’ historical open/click data
- And optimize for desired action (i.e. click or open)
- Utilizing consumer-provided data is resulting
- 4-8% lifts in open rates and
- 10-17% lifts in click rates
Moreover, leveraging third-party data can ensure that:
- Marketers minimize the effect of in-house biasing
- Marketers get a fuller understanding of how their consumers behave, earlier
- Marketers can take the right actions to eliminate conditional disengagement
Leveraging consumers’ actions are the only way to achieve true personalization.
Check out the full webinar below: