Home renovation has taken off the past few years with many Americans stuck at home due to Covid. According to a survey by Bid-on-Equipment, 89% of home-owners made some type of improvement to their home in 2021. Here is the list of top home improvement projects:
- Exterior Improvements – 86% of homeowners made improvements to the exterior of their homes. Types of projects includes painting, landscaping and installing fences. According to a report by HomeAdvisor, the typical costs of these projects vary — the average cost to paint a home’s exterior is $2,960, landscaping is $3,423 and the average cost to install a fence is $2,842.
- Bathroom Remodels – The survey found that 65% of homeowners remodeled a bathroom. The amount spent on a bathroom remodel is approximately $8,000, according to a report by Houzz. Homeowners also renovated smaller bathrooms – upgrades of smaller bathrooms increased by 20 percent.
- Kitchen Remodels – 43% of homeowners remodeled their kitchen, with the average cost being $25,544 or $150 per square foot, according to HomeAdvisor.
- Living Rooms – 38% of homeowners made improvements to their living rooms, including refurnishing their living space.
- Dining Room – 21% completed a dining room improvement project.
- Primary Bedroom – 20% of homeowners made upgrades to their primary bedroom.
- Entryway Upgrades – 17% of homeowners made improvements to their entryways, such as by painting or adding wallpaper.
- Garage Improvements – 17% made improvements to their garage, ranging from simple repairs to completely renovating or converting a garage to a home office space.
- Basements – 13% completed a basement renovation, a costly remodel averaging $20,428 according to HomeAdvisor. However, with more people at home, people are wanting to make use of every square foot of their home space.
- Secondary Bedroom Renovations – 11% of homeowners remodeled a secondary bedroom, often turning this space into a home office.
- Entire Home Renovation – An ambition 4% of those surveyed decided to remodel their entire home, a project costing an average of $46,754 according to HomeAdvisor.
The home is one of the biggest investments a consumer makes in their lifetime. The pandemic had had a clear impact on home improvement projects as people spent more time at home and shifted to remote work.
The move is another important event in which a flurry of home improvement projects occur. According tothe 2021 New Mover Trends Report from Porch and V12, 83% say they are doing/planning to do or have already done home improvement projects.
Top projects included painting (45%), redocorating (38%), and kitchen remodeling (38%).
Like what you are reading? Download your free copy of the New Mover Trends Report here!
Related Article: Top 10 States Americans Moved to in 2021.
Stay up to date with the latest insights and marketing resources.