Wesley Chapel, FL
We are seeking a senior database administrator who will provide expert level support for highly available SQL Server environments. The ideal candidate will have practical/working knowledge of clustering, log shipping, mirroring, replication, and availability groups as methods used to meet business needs. The senior database administrator must be able to trouble shoot time sensitive production issues in a timely manner. Database monitoring tools are used to send alerts and must be fine-tuned to reduce false positives. The DBA also needs to have working/troubleshooting knowledge of Oracle databases. This position involves mentoring of dba teammates. In this role you will be asked to stretch beyond simple daily tasks and advise management on what’s really best for environments containing business critical data. You will be asked to:
- Act as an escalation point for issues other DBAs can’t solve
- Decide when major process changes need to be made for SQL Server management.
- Architect SQL Server configuration for new features and use cases
- Define high level standards for SQL Server management.
- Ensure stable operation, performance, and availability of production MS SQL Server environments through proactive monitoring, maintenance, and management.
- Ensure database back up processes and schedules meet defined Recovery Point Objectives (RPO) and that backups are routinely tested to ensure consistency and the ability to meet Recovery Time Objectives (RTO.)
- Provide 2nd level support and incident resolution for the MS SQL Server and Oracle production environments.
- Participate in AlwaysOn Availability Group failover testing of High Availability and Disaster Recovery environments.
- Configure and refine Idera system monitoring tools and alerts.
- Proactively identify tactical risks in the database environment and raise/resolve issues efficiently.
- Collaborate with IT and management teams to evolve the MS SQL Server environment to enable/sustain revenue growth, eliminate regulatory risk, and lower transaction costs.
- Create, validate, and augment documentation on the configuration, infrastructure, and processes associated with the MS SQL Server environment.
- Manage application, permissions, and user access to SQL Server and Oracle environments.
- Install and configure new SQL Servers, AlwaysOn Availablity Groups, Virtual Machines, and Physical servers according to specifications and best practices.
- Deploy and test SQL Server patches, maintenance jobs, and change scripts in both test and production environments.
- Work with IT teams to configure and support development and test environments.
- Support and create SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) packages to populate data in production and development environments.
- Automate and streamline repetitive tasks.
- Manage communication and foster relationships with SQL Analysts, IT managers, business users, and developers.
- Be a part of a committee in determining effective ways to increase server and/or database performance through index and code changes, configuration changes, and hardware purchases.
- Participate in on-call rotation and after hours or weekend work for disaster recovery testing, production support, and code deployments.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience and relevant working experience
- Minimum 6 years of experience as MS SQL database administrator
- Hands-on experience with SQL Server 2012 required
- Experience supporting Oracle production environments
- Experience in supporting data warehouse load, master data management, data quality controls processes a major plus